Moving samples on the M+ SD Card

AlexBuga
AlexBuga Member Posts: 26 Helper
edited April 2022 in Maschine

I have a Splice library that has like tons of subfolders, and I noticed I can't browse it deep down because of the way Maschine+ browser is set up.

So I tried Moving the "Drums" folder in the root and now I can browse Kicks, Snares, etc.

The question is... how can I move the directories without messing up the projects? "Save with samples" is not an option because God knows where I've used those samples :)

I was thinking since M+ is a unix OS... maybe I can create folder shortcuts with "ln -fs" in the terminal?

Tagged:

Comments

• AlexBuga

And nope... shortcuts don't work

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,300 Expert

Did you also try with a hard link (ln without -s option) instead of a symbolic link?

• AlexBuga

Doesn't work because it's a folder.

• Sedat Senguel
    Sedat Senguel Member Posts: 19 Member

Are you speaking about with only using on M+? So is the question that...for example you loaded a bunch of splice stuff in the user folder on the SD card. Made projects on the M+, then used samples out of the user folder and don't want to run into issues when you "reorganize" the folder structure on the user folder right? So I would think that there will be a "can't find sound" and then a prompt like "navigate to the folder" or something like this would pop up right? If not possible there should be the possibility to rescan the SD card or a folder where you would have to navigate and then save the project again, right?

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod

Why is saving with samples, not an option? It does not move the samples, it just copies them, so if you have things that depend on the current path it won't break anything.

• AlexBuga

Test... I wrote a long reply and it needs approval... wth

• AlexBuga

Yeah but there are 2 use cases.

Right now I have a Splice lib and those are like "Some_Library_Name/Drums/Drum_loops/90_bpm/drum_loop_1.wav" .. stuff like that.

The issue is when I browse on M+ the user content, I can't drill deep in the folders because M+ only has like 2-3 levels deep. then it displays all the wavs in the subfolders. So you end up with snares & kicks & stuff in the same place.

If I move the samples upper, and get rid of the long names, I can drill deep via M+ browser, but I will mess up the projects that already use these samples.

So I tried creating a symbolic link so M+ would see it as a new folder (easier for browsing) and the old projects will still reference the samples from where they were.

As it is right now, M+ doesn't rescan the card and automatically fix references. And you can't locate samples yourself.

PS: I complained about the Digitakt's low capacity, but those guys have a really smart system. Each sample has a unique ID. And no matter where you move it, the Digitakt finds it by that unique ID. Pretty neat.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod

If I move the samples upper, and get rid of the long names, I can drill deep via M+ browser, but I will mess up the projects that already use these samples.

If you save all your projects with samples then you will have no projects that depend on the old paths anymore therefore there's nothing to mess up.

• AlexBuga

I know, but 1) I have a lot of projects.

And 2) I still haven't figured it out what happens when I save a project bundled, and then come back to it later and add stuff. Do I just "SAVE" ? Or do I need to "Save with samples" everytime?

My music making time is pretty limited because you know... life, kid, wife, job... and I usually work incrementally on ideas.

Yeah, at this point I might be nitpicking.

But it was fun nonetheless to be able to have sym links