A simple way to create a 4-position button?

Bolle
Bolle Member Posts: 349 Pro

Hi everyone!

I need to create a button set up so that it sends out values from 0 to 3 and restart the count on the next click. Very simple, but i haven't found a good way to do this.

I can of course use a fader or knob and drag instead of click, but i would rather not.

Many thanks in advance!

Greets,

B

Best Answer

• colB
    colB Member Posts: 761 Guru
    Answer ✓

Main thing is to use a snap value module so that the setting can be saved with snapshots. snap value has various parameter settings, so pay attention to those. Particularly the range settings, min and max. It's easy to forget and leave them set at 0 and 1, then wonder why the thing isn't working!

Here are a couple of examples, on in Primary (yuck), the other using a core cell. I imagine there are other ways to achieve this functionality. Also, don't use these examples without thoroughly testing them ;)

Answers

• Paule
    Paule Member Posts: 1,328 Expert

Peter, this is an endless select with 5 stages from 2018

• Studiowaves
    Studiowaves Member Posts: 451 Advisor

Peter, Paule may have a solution but if not you may try the text module. In my experience, what you are trying to do can be easily accomplished but difficult to save the latest value in a patch. The list has 1024 entries and you can repeat the number over and over. Pressing plus and minus moves up and down the entries. The last entry selected will be saved in the patch if you save it after the last entry.

• Bolle
    edited April 2022

Thank you! I tried Paules module but, though it is definitely a useful device, it didn't really work for my purposes.

It wouldn't have been that bad if i had to go with a fader instead, but i had already invested time in the GUI design.

But: i think i found a solution.

I hardly ever use Blocks, so i only noticed this today, but the oscillator type selector of the Monark oscillator blocks does exactly what i need. It switches from 0 to 1 to 2 and jumps back to 0 on the 4th click. All i have to do is mess with it to make it work with the values i want. Should be easy enough to do.

If it works, i'll isolate the button into a macro and upload it.

Greets,

Bolle

• colB
    colB Member Posts: 761 Guru
    Answer ✓

Main thing is to use a snap value module so that the setting can be saved with snapshots. snap value has various parameter settings, so pay attention to those. Particularly the range settings, min and max. It's easy to forget and leave them set at 0 and 1, then wonder why the thing isn't working!

Here are a couple of examples, on in Primary (yuck), the other using a core cell. I imagine there are other ways to achieve this functionality. Also, don't use these examples without thoroughly testing them ;)

• Bolle

Awesome, Colin! Thank you.

I will be testing it (thouroughly!😁) later today and consider my question answered.

Greets,

Bolle