Komplete Kontrol v2.7.0 and win7

Robert100
Robert100 Member Posts: 11 Member
edited April 2022 in Komplete Kontrol

I understood that because GR6 was not available for win7 that Native Access would not show it as an update or download and install it even if I paid for it.

I received an update for komplete Kontrol in native access and installed it but it repeatedly stalled/hung when scanning vst's. I notice that this version is available for win 10 +, not win 7 and so thought this was why it would not install.

If this is correct why did native access inform me it was available and allow me to install it?

If this is incorrect please give some hints as to how I go about troubleshooting.

I have reverted to v2.5.1 (R2) which does work completely with win 7. If there is a more recent version closer to v2.7.0 available to download please give me a link. Native access is offering me v2.7.0 as an update.

Cheers

Comments

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 2,966 mod
    edited April 2022

Hello,

2.5.1 is latest supported version for win7. https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000618297

Uwe

• Robert100

Thanks Uwe but....

please get devs to make it clearer to current owners and possibly get NA to not show an update that does not work.

• Uwe303

yes i try to give that to a native guy - this should not happen

Uwe

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert

@Robert100

No problem to use GR6 on Win7, NA will not let you install it, but if you get installer using higher version of Win, you will be able to install GR6 on Win7.

The same with Super 8.

• Robert100

Thank you both :)

It leaves me thinking I should upgrade to win 10 but that worries me.

Some say it is fine with the option to keep all programs, others say it doesn't work.

I like the look of GR6 but don't know anyone with a win 10 pc to get the download :(

Ah well, I am also getting on in years so may not actually be worth it lol!

• Uwe303

I would make a backup and then upgrade to 10, if something does not work you can go back within windows, but if everything fails you have the backup. I think win 10 is absolutely great and after many updates it outperforms win7. I can recommend it absolutely. And later o would make a fresh install of win 10, this is always better, but an upgrade will do also for some time.

Uwe

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,531 Expert

As someone who loved Win7 and resisted the update for the first 2 years (and had hundreds of programs installed) I can say my migration from Win7 to 10 using the update option was fine, I still have not even formatted my system in almost 10 years because it just has not been needed unlike Win7 which I got use to formatting every few years as it would just slow down over time so much.

The only issue I had was the audio interface I had at the time was a Presonus Firebox and they refused to develop Win10 drivers. I managed to hack the driver ini file so it would install and it worked but had constant dropouts after that so I decided to invest in a new interface since it was 10 years old and firewire which was getting harder to find on a MOBO.

Just as suggested, make a backup of your system first since Win7 is becoming more and more difficult to run new software on.

• Vocalpoint
    Vocalpoint Member Posts: 849 Guru

Robert

Windows 10 is far and away (by a huge margin) where you should be right now. It is mature, very stable and quite frankly makes Win 7 look embarrassing.

Now Windows 11 is another disaster that you should avoid right now - but you should really consider using Win 10 to get the most of your NI experience and move past the year 2009 someday soon.

Cheers

VP

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,291 mod

Hey @Robert100 You're absolutely right, Native Access should not show you this update available for your Windows 7 system and shouldn't install it. I've informed the Native Access team. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for flagging this issue.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,291 mod

Hey @Robert100 To file a proper bug report, we'd need a few more informations:

•  PC specs (type of processor etc)
    • Your exact operating system
    • Are you using Native Access 1 or Native Access 2 ?
    • What version of Komplete Kontrol was installed previously ?

• Kubrak

I am lover of old times. I like Win7 much more than Win10. New AMD CPUs do not have support for Win7, so I had to step backward to Win10.

• Kubrak

Jeremy,

shouldn't it be so, that Native Acces should work also under Win7? What about legacy SW and so on? Windows is not Apple, and it is not that hard to maintain backward compatibility....

I have pretty complex program that runs Win95 thru Win10. I have not tested Win11, yet.

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,531 Expert

As someone who works in support the issue is not just compatibility with older systems like Win7, it is support and testing.

It makes no sense to release software for a system that is no longer supported by the developer because if you do and state it IS supported, you HAVE to support it and that becomes VERY hard when you then have to have access to a Windows 7 OS for testing problems. Not to mention sometimes an issue can crop up which you need to contact Microsoft about as it could be a conflict between modern programming tools and older .NET libraries etc and MS wont assist so you end up stuck.

As you say it isn't Apple and most Windows OS are 10 year cycles for support. macOS is designed from the ground up to make p[products obsolete so developers can take advantage of pushing constant updates.

Win7 still works with most things, I still have a Win7 based server which does everything from backups to serving Plex and even iTunes and it's fine but I also accept it's a 13 year old OS and will need to update it in time.

• Kubrak

Well, I did not mean necesarilly oficially support Win7, just make the application so that it is compatible....

GR6 or Super 8 also are not oficially supported on Win7, but they do run.

In my opinion authorization SW should run on legacy OS to allow authorisation of legacy plugins on legacy OS.

• PADR
    PADR Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

I have exactly the same issue. Not withstanding the "Win7 out of date issue" why is this update being shown in Native Acces? I'm now having the same issue with Maschine 2 software also made available in NA. I know for example that Super 8 isn't compatable with my system and it doesn't show in NA. How can I revert to a workable software?