User library folders "alias": what is it for?

Cas
Cas Member Posts: 3 Member

One thing I can't fully understand is the bugs that seem to exist in adding your own samples to the library. I've tried different ways, I am more and more successful, but then today I again find something I don't understand.

I have several folders with samples from beat battles, of which I only want to use the "chops" subfolders (made chops in another app). The problem arises when I add two or more directories called "chops" in the user library in preferences:

Even though I'll set an alias on the right, those do not show anywhere on the hardware. I have just one "chops" product to select, no subfolders. So they basically just get combined because they have the same name on the hard drive. In the past I've made the "mistake" of having many folders in called "kicks" for instance, and if you do this too much it seems like the Maschine software doesn't know anymore which folder (category) it is in. As in, this combining gets done so much but in the browser you are pointing at one sample pack but on the right screen it's showing results from another one. So inable to effectively browse.

I have two questions:

1. Is there a workaround, so that I can somehow access just one of the two folders? Ideally without having to rename folders on hard drive.
  2. What is the alias for? I can't see it anywhere on the hardware nor in the software. Both seem to always display the actual folder's name.

Best Answers

• Cas
    Answer ✓

I've found a workaround: instead of adding the folder through the Preferences pane, I did it through the file browser, which allows to set some properties for all files imported. That way you can set a tag (Character) to some custom name, allowing you to browse just that folder. It's still the world on its head a bit, but it's a workaround.

Question 2 still remains, what is the alias for?

• Wonner
    Wonner Member Posts: 10 Member
    Answer ✓

Based purely on my experience, the Alias field in the User Library is to resolve name conflicts with existing library items.

When I recently tried to install a third part package named "Ambient Cinema", it rejected the entry with a warning that "Ambient Cinema" already existed. When I entered an alias of "AmbCin", it accepted the entry and the sounds appeared as expected.

Hope that Helps

Answers

• Cas
    Answer ✓

I've found a workaround: instead of adding the folder through the Preferences pane, I did it through the file browser, which allows to set some properties for all files imported. That way you can set a tag (Character) to some custom name, allowing you to browse just that folder. It's still the world on its head a bit, but it's a workaround.

Question 2 still remains, what is the alias for?

• Wonner
    Wonner Member Posts: 10 Member
    Answer ✓

Based purely on my experience, the Alias field in the User Library is to resolve name conflicts with existing library items.

When I recently tried to install a third part package named "Ambient Cinema", it rejected the entry with a warning that "Ambient Cinema" already existed. When I entered an alias of "AmbCin", it accepted the entry and the sounds appeared as expected.

Hope that Helps