MIDI Out from plugins

Mythico1
Mythico1 Member Posts: 2 Member
edited April 2022 in Maschine

I am wondering if it is possible to output the "augmented" MIDI from a MIDI Effect Instrument plugin like Chord Prism or Captain Chords from one Sound slot in Maschine to another. I would like to use a more advanced Chord Generator plugin for one Sound, and a destination instrument for another Sound.

I see where it is pretty easy to send the actual MIDI selections from one sound to another, but not the augmented MIDI (a full chord based off of a single note selection). In the same context most DAWs will send the augmented MIDI (a full chord) to the destination instead of the actual notes that were selected on the track hosting the Chord Generator.

Some of these MIDI Effect Instrument plugins allow you to host an instrument within them, but that messes up the NKS mapping of instrument parameters.... Which is a main reason I use Maschine in the first place :/

If what I am seeking is not currently supported, hopefully NI could implement that at some point in time.

Best Answer

• darkwaves
    darkwaves Member Posts: 342 Guru
    edited April 2022 Answer ✓

Maschine can't send midi out of plugins. If it could, we'd be able to fix a lot of complaints ourselves using reaktor. Much further than just a plugins picking chords for you. It's a decade old feature request.

Answers

• darkwaves
    darkwaves Member Posts: 342 Guru
    edited April 2022 Answer ✓

Maschine can't send midi out of plugins. If it could, we'd be able to fix a lot of complaints ourselves using reaktor. Much further than just a plugins picking chords for you. It's a decade old feature request.

• Mythico1
    Mythico1 Member Posts: 2 Member

Thanks, hopefully they implement that at some point in time moving forward.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,879 mod

I edited the tread title to make the topic clear. FYI this has been highly requested for years, at the very least since 2015.

• jmp909
    jmp909 Member Posts: 6 Member

I’ve heard you can use something like VSTBoard or VSTForx with a midi loopback driver but I can’t work out how to set them up. Anybody had any luck and could show some example setup please? (Free midi plugins if possible)

it should be possible to use an external app to send the augmented midi into Maschine which will be useful for recording the generated notes, but ideally we should be able to run the generators inside Maschine from base notes played on the sequencer

• jmp909
    edited July 2022

I've managed to get midi out fx working on Windows with LoopMidi, Image-Line MiniHost Modular 1.5.8 and PizJuice's midiOut

1) Put Minihost Modular (FX) on eg Sound 1

2) Put a synth on eg Sound 2

3) Set the MIDI input to the Synth on Sound 2 as one of your loopMidi ports

4) open Minihost and route the Midi In plug to your Midi FX plugin (in my case Harvest Mini)

5) wire the ouput of your Midi FX plugin to PizJuice's MidiOut plugin

6) set the output setting of MidiOut plugin to your port used in step 3

hope this is useful to somebody!

J

//

LoopMidi: https://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/loopmidi.html

Minihost Modular: https://forum.image-line.com/viewtopic.php?t=123031

MidiOut: https://code.google.com/archive/p/pizmidi/downloads

this is similar to the solution on the link below, except I'm not having to host the sound instrument itself within MiniHost https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/support-for-midi-plugins-fx.336183/#post-1835973

Also confirmed working with mucoder's Hypercyclic - set the Midi Out in Hypercyclic to VST Host, using the same wiring as detailed above, including the midiOut plugin to the loopback (essentially just replacing the Harvest module with Hypercyclic in my screenshot below)

I've not yet checked if Midi In comes into the Minihost plugin from notes that are already in the Maschine pattern this way though - eg for plugins that can do one-note transposed arps & chord triggers etc, but I'll check this later. PizJuice also does a MidiIn plugin in that should maybe help if not.

(Note: if Windows security blocks the installation of Minihost when double clicking, open a command prompt with admin rights in your download folder and type minihost_install.exe and it should run ok)

timing of recorded data seems reasonably ok (screenshot below recorded with quantize 1/16th)...

• jmp909
    edited July 2022

PizJuice's MidiIn seems to crash the host. You don't need it, you just need to use the instrument version of MiniHost Modular rather than the FX version and the midi will come in through the input port on the left.

the second photo shows the notes recorded from BlueArp coming into my Hercules VST instrument on Sound 2, triggered by the chords on sound 1. You'll need to quantize as you can see the timing is slightly off, but it's enough to get some sequence ideas down.