Connecting a Kontrol S8 w/ a Kontrol F1 and a Kontrol D2

thomasabrial
thomasabrial Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

Hi everyone,

Just bought a Traktor Kontrol S8, it is already great to mix with it but I am looking forward to build a complete setup adding a D2 to have a third "visible" deck and a F1 to play with stems and effects.

I have seen a lot of pictures and videos of some guys building this kind of setup (2 D2 w/ the S8 or adding a F1 to S8), but I wonder how they can plug the D2 into the S8, as the S8 has not a USB entrance. Same for the F1.

Do I just need to plug everything on a computer as the software recognize everything ? Then, probably should I change the settings on the software ?

So, if anyone of you has such a setup, could you please provide me your solution ? As the main sound will be released from the S8.

Thanks a lot in advance for your answer, I just need to be sure before investing on these.

I hope you enjoy mixing ! Keep house music rules !

Thomas

Tagged:

Comments

• Sûlherokhh
    Sûlherokhh Member, Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,745 mod

Just plug them into the computer. Traktor will take care of the rest. Don't forget to install the drivers with the Traktor update, or manually install them via NI mainpage --> suport --> downloads.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,789 Expert

You may plug all three to computer.

Or D2 has USB hub, so theoretically you might plug D2 to computer and S8 and F1 to D2. Not sure, if it works reliably. If not, plugging S8 and D2 to computer and F1 to D2 might work well.

Also D2 comes with stronger power source that has two plugs. So probably just one power adapter is needed for D2 & S8 and F1 does not need one.

• Karlos Santos
    Karlos Santos Member Posts: 136 Advisor

I'd plug the S8 directly into the laptop - not on the D2 hub as it's never a good idea to put a sound card on a hub.

S8 into laptop / D2 into laptop / F1 into D2

I'm not convinced that the D2 PSU should be used for the S8 & D2. It was meant for 2 x D2 (no sound card).

Give it a go and see how it stands up but I'd be tempted to use the S8 PSU for the S8.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,789 Expert

Probably you are right with D2 power, that it was designed for two D2s, not D2+S8...

Also agree, that connecting USB would be best (most reliable) the way as you suggested.