Files Not Found when loading old NKI

jeffn1
jeffn1 Member Posts: 19 Member
edited April 2022 in Kontakt

Hello,

I used to be pretty heavily into recording and vsts/sample libraries. Once I finished my CD, I then started performing live in bands and stopped doing much with VSTS for 10-15 years.

So, now I am in the process of trying to incorporate VSTs into my live rig via Gig Performer, Kontakt 6, etc. (Recently purchased/installed). Kontakt works fine with the included libraries.

So, I was reasonably good at backing up my sample libaries and I dug up a Post Musical Instruments CD with the Carillon for Kontakt and Halion etc.

It is a very simple instrument. It includes an NKI and .wav files.

So, I installed into onto my laptop.

In Kontakt I can open the Carillon nki. And it shows up.

But it says files are missing. But, I don't think they are. I suspect it is user error.

So, for the most part no sound is produced. (Surprisingly, while I was fiddling with it. I was somehow able to play just two notes: a D note in two octaves.)

So, I am probably missing something obvious (to people who know what they are doing).

Any guidance is appreciated.

Jeff

Tagged:

Best Answers

• jeffn1
    Answer ✓

Is it because the nki was intended for Kontakt 2?

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert
    edited April 2022 Answer ✓

i believe that may by the case, Kontakt no longer supports .sf2 files which is why They won’t load. If you load a wave file, you should be able to go into the Group/mapping Editor and specify the key range of the wav, so if there are wav files of different notes, you can map them to the intended key on the keyboard! Give the manual a read, specifically section 18 for an in depth look into the Group/mapping editor!

Answers

• Blindeddie

what files does it say are missing...Sample Files? did you try to locate the files using the Missing Files Dialog box?

• jeffn1

Thanks, actually it describes the missing files as sf2s (soundfonts).

(Do I need to change the extensions on the .wav file to .sf2 ?)

• jeffn1
    edited April 2022

Yes, I tried to use the missing file dialog and it did not help. It "looks" like I have the files. For example, one of the missing files says E2.

But, I looked in the folder and found an E2 .wav file

Again, this is about as simple a sample libary as it gets, I think. I think there is basically one Carillon .wav file per note.

• jeffn1

Ahh, here is a (maybe?) interesting thing. I can load up a .wav file in the Kontakt rack and it plays. It seems like it is automatically mapped across the full keyboard.

It does not sound so great, but I suppose I would get the intended sound of that .wav if I hit the note it corresponds with.

Jeff

• jeffn1

It says that the sf2 files "should be" in a folder on the C Drive.

When I ask it to search the file system, it does and the dialog box closes, as if the issue were resolved.

But, still I hear nothing.

• jeffn1
    Answer ✓

Is it because the nki was intended for Kontakt 2?

• Blindeddie
    edited April 2022 Answer ✓

i believe that may by the case, Kontakt no longer supports .sf2 files which is why They won’t load. If you load a wave file, you should be able to go into the Group/mapping Editor and specify the key range of the wav, so if there are wav files of different notes, you can map them to the intended key on the keyboard! Give the manual a read, specifically section 18 for an in depth look into the Group/mapping editor!

• jeffn1

Thank you. I will do that.

• EvilDragon
    EvilDragon Moderator Posts: 1,022 mod

Yeah Kontakt 6 won't open SF2 files anymore.