Notes From Midi Keyboard Don't release, they hang/stick.

fvasenius
fvasenius Member Posts: 4 Member
edited March 2022 in Kontakt

I'm using the kontakt plugin with Davinci Resolve (DR) Fairlight. It seems that on certain instruments, the virtual keyboard sticks after a key on my MIDI keyboard (Yamaha P71) is pressed and released. This doesn't happen when clicking on the virtual keyboard in DR. The problem is absent in the Kontakt Player app.

This happens with the play series instruments from Native Instruments Kontakt and some but not all of the instruments in the Project Sam fee orchestra. For example in Project Sam the Heroic horns have this problem but not the luminous choir.

How do I fix this? How do I determine where the problem is.

I'm using Windows 10.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• EvilDragon
    EvilDragon Moderator Posts: 1,023 mod
    Answer ✓

If you click the KONTAKT logo in top left, you should be able to see if VST2 or VST3 is loaded, but going by what you just said you're dealing with VST3, and Davinci Resolve guys need to fix their VST3 plugin handling so that MIDI note on with value 0 is converted to the appropriate note off message when sent to a VST3 instrument.

Reaper had the same issue and they fixed it.

Answers

• EvilDragon

I would suggest first to monitor your MIDI input. To do that, press the KSP button in top right and load the MIDI Monitor multiscript, by pressing Preset button, then navigate Factory->Utility->MIDI Monitor.

Enable Verbose mode and all the buttons on the right side to monitor all types of MIDI messages. Are note off messages sent at all, or are note ons with velocity 0 sent instead?

Also, is this with Kontakt VST2 or VST3?

• fvasenius

In Davinci Resolve Fairlight I see :

Note On:C4 (72) Velocity:44

Note On:C4 (72) Velocity:1

I get the first line when I press a key and the second when I release it. I've clicked on the "Note Off" button. The "Note On" button was on by default.

I don't know if I'm dealing VST2 or VST3. Kontakt player was installed last week so all the software should be up to date and Davinci Resolve was updated last week.

In the Kontakt Player app, which works fine, I see:

Note On:C4 (72) Velocity:49

Note Off:C4 (72)

Thanks, I can see the difference. Now the question is how do I fix this?

• fvasenius

I would also note that clicking on the virtual keyboard in Davinci Resolve Fairlight results in the note on with the velocity and the note off.

• EvilDragon
    Answer ✓

If you click the KONTAKT logo in top left, you should be able to see if VST2 or VST3 is loaded, but going by what you just said you're dealing with VST3, and Davinci Resolve guys need to fix their VST3 plugin handling so that MIDI note on with value 0 is converted to the appropriate note off message when sent to a VST3 instrument.

Reaper had the same issue and they fixed it.

• fvasenius

The problem persists with 17.4.6 Build 4

Here is a link to a video of me demonstrating the problem. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mZ1kNU5r3A4ifjR-iOUrNuuKw0zs-rJk/view?usp=sharing. Please let me know if it would be better for me to post it to youtube.

In Davinci Resolve Fairlight I see :

Note On:C4 (72) Velocity:44

Note On:C4 (72) Velocity:1

I get the first line when I press a key and the second when I release it. I've clicked on the "Note Off" button. The "Note On" button was on by default.

I don't know if I'm dealing VST2 or VST3. Kontakt player was installed last week so all the software should be up to date and Davinci Resolve was updated last week.

In the Kontakt Player app, which works fine, I see:

Note On:C4 (72) Velocity:49

Note Off:C4 (72)

Thanks, I can see the difference. Now the question is how do I fix this?