How can I create a soft pedal like feature in Noire using Kontakt 6?

David B
David B Member Posts: 14 Member
edited April 2022 in Kontakt

Hello,

I recently acquired Noire and I'm very happy with it. My controller is a Yamaha N1X and it's a great combination with Noire. Noire is my first instrument with Native Instruments and the entire process was was really easy with Native Access. I purchased Kontakt 6 (got a Crossgrade discount) and I had a question I was hoping someone could help me with.

The only issue I have with Noire is the absence of a soft pedal feature. The last two octaves on Noire seem a bit loud and I would like to attenuate the volume by using the soft pedal on my N1X, but I don't know anything about scripts or if this is even possible to do with Noire/Kontakt.

Let me restate: Is there anyway I can use my N1X soft pedal to attenuate the volume when playing Noire via Kontakt 6? If this is possible, I'll have to say that for me, Noire will be the best virtual piano I've ever owned, and unfortunately, I've owned a lot.

Thank you for the help.

David

Tagged:

Comments

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod

Hey David, Soft pedal is not supported in this library, but Sostenuto should be. I'm not sure how it works with the N1X but you have a couple of options regarding the pedals here:

• EvilDragon
    EvilDragon Moderator Posts: 1,022 mod

Sostenuto pedal = Soft pedal. Half-pedal relates to sustain pedal only. 😊

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod
    edited April 2022

Hey @EvilDragon this information came from the Kontakt instruments team and relates to the MIDI CCs involved, CC66 for Sostenuto Pedal (on/off) and CC67 for Soft Pedal (on/off). So it seems there is a slight difference. I just mentioned the Half Pedal options since these are the only options available in the library.

• EvilDragon

Oh right yeah I mixed the two up. Sostenuto also relates to sustain pedal (only sustains keys you're currently holding).

Soft pedal can be emulated with a slight filtering and a volume reduction, but I'm not sure if Kontakt full version users have access to the instrument edit view for Noire.

• David B
    edited April 2022

Great! Can someone teach me how to do this if it's possible. I'm not sure if I have access to the instrument edit view in Noire either, but here is a screenshot that might help you know.

Thanks for the help.

David

• David B
    edited April 2022

I would like to use CC67 (soft Pedal) as a volume attenuator when playing Noire. Is it possible to do that with Kontakt 6? It would really be helpful if it was. Thanks.

David

• EvilDragon

Right so looks like you CAN enter the edit mode of Noire. So in the left hand browser area, select Expert->Groups tab, then select the first 90 groups (from DRY_A-1 to RELEASE). So click on DRY_A-1, hold Shift, then click on RELEASE group. Now right click and pick "Set edit flag for selected group(s)". Now go to the Amplifier section and right click the Volume knob, choose External Sources->Learn MIDI CC#. Send CC #67 to Kontakt now. Press the Invert button and adjust the modulator amount to your desired level of attenuation.

• David B

That worked, but it's not functional for piano playing unless there is a way to only attenuate the volume of the samples that are played after the soft pedal is pressed while leaving the volume of the samples that were already activated (before the pedal press) the same. If that's possible, then this will be an almost perfect setup.

Thanks again for the help. David

• EvilDragon
    edited April 2022

Yeah that would require some actual scripting and it gets trickier unfortunately, because other 4 scripts in Noire might somehow negate what you do in that first and the only remaining empty script slot...

• David B
    edited April 2022

What I'm hearing you say is that it might be possible but it would require someone who actually knows how to write a script in Kontakt and they would have to experiment to see if it would work correctly with Noire. Since I don't know how to write scripts you've gone as far as you can helping me via this forum.

If the above is correct then I thank you for trying. I only have one other question. Is there anyone you can recommend that might be able to write the appropriate script and determine if it's compatible with the Noire scripts and can actually work? I'm willing to pay a reasonable fee for this service. I really like Noire and it would be worth it to invest in this modification to make the playing experience better. Thanks again for the consideration and for getting me this far in the process.

David

• EvilDragon

I mean, I know how to write scripts. 😋 So let me see what can be done here, or if it can even work...

• stephen24
    stephen24 Member Posts: 276 Pro

The LH "soft" pedal on a grand piano moves the hammers to the left, so each hammer strikes only 2 of the the 3 strings (or one of the 2 - una corda) leaving the untouched string to vibrate in sympathy with the others. You can't "programme" this in Kontakt, with or without scripts - it's a different sound. If una corda is "not supported" in this instrument then why *** not??!

I am astonished by some of the reports of virtual instruments that are being sold today. A few threads down someone reports a String Section instrument - "Pro", which I presume means "advanced" - which apparently doesn't allow control of the attack time. How can you possibly emulate this most versatile of orchestral instrument sections without this utterly fundamental facility?

In 2021 storage and RAM are plentiful and cheap, so there is no excuse for this kind of thing. It seems to me that there is a need for more conversations between programmers and musicians.

• David B

Awesome!!! I'll eagerly wait to see what can be done. Best wishes!

David

• David B
    edited April 2022

Stephen24  "If una corda is "not supported" in this instrument then why *** not??!"

I would assume one reason is they wanted to keep the Library size smaller. I would also assume they felt that the purpose of this piano library did not lend itself to una corda samples. It's a very unique library with the particles engine (which I don't use) and the felt samples (which I also don't use). I would imagine that solo piano (what I use it for) is not the primary purpose this piano library was created. However, I really like its warm and mellow tone. It doesn't aggravate my tinnitus as much as some other piano libraries do. It gives me the ability to get more enjoyment out of playing the piano. That's why I'd be willing to pay to have a script written for a soft pedal like feature. I know it won't be the same as una Corda samples, but it will give me a bit more control over the dynamic expression.

David

• EvilDragon

You can definitely approximate una corda by changing the volume and some EQing, quite decently in fact.