S2MK3 / Loops don't start at the beginning mark

Victor Conejo
Victor Conejo Member Posts: 4 Member

Hi! I'm using my Traktor S2 MK3 Controller on a Huawei Matebook D laptop on Windows 10 Home 64 bits (10.0 compilation 19044, all updated) / Processor Intel Core i7 - 7500 - 2.7GHz (4 CPUs) - 8GB / RAM 80MB - 2133MHz / GPU NVIDIA GeForce 940MX - 6GB - OpenGL 4.5 compatible / HD SanDisk SSD 239GB - 100GB free.

All softwares are updated: Traktor 3 Pro to 3.5.2, controller firmware to 1.3.0 and ASIO drivers to 5.2.0. Also WiFi, BIOS, Bluetooth, USB, etc. drivers are updated through an Intel Drivers Aplication. The USB cable is the one that comes standard with the controller. All the songs that I put are MP3 at 320 kbps.

There's almost nothing more installed on my laptop, just Spotify and VLC Media Player. I use it just for djing, 2-3 times a week.

The problem: Loops often don't start at the beginning but "jump" and start a bar or half a bar later. I've tried reanalyzing the track but it doesn't fix it.

Best Answers

• Karlos Santos
    Karlos Santos Member Posts: 136 Advisor
    Answer ✓

Welcome to the forum.

Have you got SNAP on? This will ensure that loops are snapped to the beat grid.

Karlos.

• zephry
    zephry Member Posts: 566 Pro
    Answer ✓

I am assuming you are loading small loops into the decks and not the Remix decks?

If so, Traktor is probably not detecting the downbeat of the loop as the beginning. You can delete the grid and set a marker at the beginning.

If the loops are not a constant bpm or an off length then you may need to use a software like Ableton to set lengths and warp the loop to a set bpm.

If you are using the Remix Decks. Then as long as the length and bpm are working you can move the start marker in the controls for the sample slot.

Another thing that Traktor does is ignore silence when setting a grid. So if the loop has a silent part, for instance before a clap or hat that is meant to be offbeat it might skip ahead to place the marker.

Also always remember the bpm you made the loop in case Traktor gets it wrong and manually set it.

Answers

• Karlos Santos
    Answer ✓

Welcome to the forum.

Have you got SNAP on? This will ensure that loops are snapped to the beat grid.

Karlos.

• Victor Conejo
    Victor Conejo Member Posts: 4 Member
    edited April 2022

Greetings and thank you very much for the welcome. I have always played with the SNAP connected. The last few weeks I've been trying with it disconnected and QUANT activated, but it does the same thing.

Other information in case it is useful: I work with Sample Rate 44100 Hz / Buffer Size 192 / USB Buffer 2 ms. I have tested the system with LatencyMon and the results are optimal. My laptop triples or more the safety margin.

• zephry
    zephry Member Posts: 566 Pro
    Answer ✓

I am assuming you are loading small loops into the decks and not the Remix decks?

If so, Traktor is probably not detecting the downbeat of the loop as the beginning. You can delete the grid and set a marker at the beginning.

If the loops are not a constant bpm or an off length then you may need to use a software like Ableton to set lengths and warp the loop to a set bpm.

If you are using the Remix Decks. Then as long as the length and bpm are working you can move the start marker in the controls for the sample slot.

Another thing that Traktor does is ignore silence when setting a grid. So if the loop has a silent part, for instance before a clap or hat that is meant to be offbeat it might skip ahead to place the marker.

Also always remember the bpm you made the loop in case Traktor gets it wrong and manually set it.

• Karlos Santos

QUANT and SNAP do different things. QUANT will ensure that your drops are in time and in phase with the beat. SNAP ensure that you will cue to a grid point (or transient in the absence of a grid).