What is better? To use one instance of kontakt with multi libraries or one kontakt for each library?

Rafael Dias Calmezini
Rafael Dias Calmezini Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

I would like to know wich option save more CPU power. In a multi track case to use one instance of kontakt with multi libraries and set each library send to the specific track or to put one kontakt in each track with the library I want to use? Is there a difference at all?

Thank you

Tagged:

Best Answers

• ShelLuser
    ShelLuser Member Posts: 240 Pro
    Answer ✓

It heavily depends on the DAW you're using and how it handles their resources.

For example... Ableton Live can pick up on multiple instances of the same VST (even when loaded on different tracks) but it also does resource management on a per-track basis. Ergo it makes sense not to cluser too much together and instead load different instances of Kontakt on different tracks when using different instruments.

However, other DAW's may approach this differently. As far as I know (partly hearsay!) Reaper treats this somewhat differently and thus it makes more sense to load different instruments into the same Kontakt VST and then route those to different audio channels.

• ShelLuser
    Answer ✓

@Rafael Dias Calmezini

So in this case it's better to use multiple instances, right?!

Definitely.

See, by dividing your instruments over different tracks Live can then also better divide all available resources between them. That becomes harder if you have everything sitting on one track because then you'd basically have a bit of a "blob" so to speak.

Good luck!

Answers

• ShelLuser
    Answer ✓

It heavily depends on the DAW you're using and how it handles their resources.

For example... Ableton Live can pick up on multiple instances of the same VST (even when loaded on different tracks) but it also does resource management on a per-track basis. Ergo it makes sense not to cluser too much together and instead load different instances of Kontakt on different tracks when using different instruments.

However, other DAW's may approach this differently. As far as I know (partly hearsay!) Reaper treats this somewhat differently and thus it makes more sense to load different instruments into the same Kontakt VST and then route those to different audio channels.

• Rafael Dias Calmezini
    Rafael Dias Calmezini Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

Thank you very much for your help. I forgot to mention, I use Ableton Live and sometimes Cubase. So in this case it's better to use multiple instances, right?!

Thank you once again for your support.

• ShelLuser
    Answer ✓

@Rafael Dias Calmezini

So in this case it's better to use multiple instances, right?!

Definitely.

See, by dividing your instruments over different tracks Live can then also better divide all available resources between them. That becomes harder if you have everything sitting on one track because then you'd basically have a bit of a "blob" so to speak.

Good luck!