1 Octave difference between Kontakt 6 and V Drums

Ant G.
Ant G. Member Posts: 19 Member
edited March 2022 in Kontakt

Thanks to Evil Dragon in this group, I have been successful in playing a V Drum kit via USB to Kontakt.

On a related issue, I've noted the V Drum kit module shows (example) G3 for the Crash Edge and it triggers the Crash Edge in Abbey Road 60s drummer however it's a G2 instead of G3 as is seen in the Roland module. This is consistent with almost everything in Kontakt, there's a 1 octave difference. In the attached images you'll see Tom 1 midi note as C3 in the Roland module whereby Tom 1 is a C2 in the Kontakt 6 / AR60s drummer

Might there be any ideas that can be shared here as to how to make Kontakt match what's coming off the brain module globally vs. 1 x 1 ? Basically, the request is to raise all Kontakt MIDI notes for all Abbey Road products up 1 octave.

Thanks

Tagged:

Comments

• EvilDragon
    EvilDragon Moderator Posts: 1,022 mod

Kontakt uses C3 to denote middle C, while Roland likely uses C4. They're the same note, just the octave numbering is off by one.

• Ant G.

Yes, thanks I realize this. Just curious re the OP: "the request is to raise all Kontakt MIDI notes for all Abbey Road products up 1 octave." Is that possible Evil Dragon vs. one at a time so that al match on the fly?

• EvilDragon

But, why would you want to do this? Then V-Drums brain won't trigger correct notes in Kontakt. MIDI note 36 is going to trigger the kick in AR Drummer by default... So you don't need to change anything in AR Drummer. Just select one of two available V-Drums mappings and see which ones fits better:

Disregard the octave naming offset. It is irrelevant.

• Ant G.

I see your point, that's a good call. I've tried both and they refer to different Roland model numbers 3,6,8,12,+ 20. 20 being the newest but it's quite some time ago. As they released at 27,50 and 50X as some examples thereafter.

I've written to NI and they replied there are no plans to do any of the newer models.

• EvilDragon

However mappings might still be very similar, so it's worth a shot to use them as a starting point.