Expansion Mixtapes? Want to participate?

Peter Harris
Peter Harris Member Posts: 470 Pro
edited April 2022 in Social Club

Lately I've been really blown away by the quality of the NI expansions and how enjoyable and creative it can be remixing the kits.

And I've been wondering why the Maschine community doesn't share actual Projects files among themselves more, both as a creative, technical and educational tool/resource. (Other than the Projects that come with the expansions themselves directly from NI.)

Then I realized that there are just too many variables to easily share them in a way that freezes them in a reviewable/editable format, what with the infinite variety of samples, plug-ins, hardware, etc.

But sometimes the most interesting part of the creative process can be the box itself, as commercial artists have known for years. The limitations within which we create can sometimes be invigorating instead of confining.

So I'm proposing an idea I'm calling Inside The Box: Expansions Unleashed or maybe just Expansion Mixtapes, and I'm curious whether any of us might be interested in sharing our output files (in Maschine Project format and possibly documented YouTube performances and/or text notes) with a common set of constraints: only using Maschine/+ (using stock/built-in plug-ins), an agreed-upon NI Expansion and subsets of existing kits (kit sounds could be muted/deleted in patterns but not added/replaced so everyone can see the creative choices made).

Thoughts? Takers? Maybe Jef, Beau, Knock, Barry and others could weigh in?

Comments

• Matt_NI
    Matt_NI Administrator Posts: 1,105 admin

Love the idea Peter!

If we get people to participate, we can totally try to see how we can support it. We can share on our newsletter or even see if we can upload it on our soundcloud πŸš€

Might even be worth discussing how to get people involved outside of the community if nobody is raising their hands here

• Peter Harris

I really appreciate the offer and support Matt! Let's see if we have any other interest. 🀞

Great idea, feel free to PM me if you want to discuss further about adding outside people too.

• Peter Harris

I contacted Barry and he is in! πŸ₯³ I think he's perfect too because he does great expansion reviews that among other things include tips on learning from the included Projects, IMHO the most underappreciated aspect of them. In fact it was one of his videos that in part sparked this whole idea.

Can you PM me your email and I will follow up further?

I still no other takers but I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Thanks Matt!

• afrogrit
    afrogrit Member Posts: 57 Helper

Great idea, I'm in 🀝

• Peter Harris

Much appreciated and glad to have you be part of it. πŸ˜€

We're doing Lunar Echoes first and Soul Magic second if you want to start thinking about them.

• Peter Harris

I was generally thinking of trying to get out one expansion "episode" a month but we're off to a slow-ish start so the first one might take a little longer. I'll follow up with you by PM/email if that's okay.

• MaxPtah
    MaxPtah Member Posts: 5 Member

I'm definitely interested in this!

• Peter Harris

Awesome! The more the merrier. If you PM me with your email I will send you the background info so far.

Looks like we're picking up some momentum. πŸ₯³

• Core T. Son
    Core T. Son Member Posts: 1 Member

Sounds like a fun way to find out what Maschine can do! Can i join in?

• Peter Harris

You're welcome to participate! Just check out the two expansions we're starting with.