Kontakt for iPad or alternatives

JMan
JMan Member Posts: 2 Member
edited April 2022 in Tech Talks

hello Developers of native instruments my name is Jonavin how are y’all doin ? I was wondering and wanted to ask I used to have the demo version of kontakt for my laptop I’ve been using it for a long time just wanted to ask it doesn’t have to be yes it doesn’t have to be no but would you guys ever make or develop an app called ikontakt for the iPad? let me know what y’all guys think whenever you have a chance thanks .. 🙂

Tagged:

Comments

• EvilDragon
    EvilDragon Moderator Posts: 1,022 mod

Probably not.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert

How much would you be willing to pay for iKontakt? 400 USD/EUR like for PC?

• Mutis
    Mutis Member Posts: 472 Pro

Alternatives (and maybe inspiration for NI devs). Price range is big also.

I probably missed some but I will add this video with 15 apps as example of how many you can find.

Hope it helps meanwhile you receive an answer from NI developers.

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,274 Guru

I think there is a HUGE opportunity for NI with a new product/service that builds on iPadOS. Sort of a port of the Play series content that you can subscribe to.

Easily carry around a bunch of Play series libraries that you can curate and tweak your favs using touchscreen and... and play by wireless connecting some relatively "dumb" hardware controllers that NI could make for this new product/service.

Those that already own Komplete for "computer" could enjoy a discount on the new iPad OS subscription service of the Play series.

• Kaiwan_NI
    Kaiwan_NI Administrator Posts: 2,523 admin

Been seeing similar questions flying around the community in the past weeks about NI developing mobile apps so I gotta ask: if you already own Kontakt, what would make you switch completely to a mobile app?

I get it a mobile app means expanding market opportunities, but for those who produce on a regular basis, what would make you want to make that leap?

• Mutis

I produce on regular basis on my iPad with apps like BlocsWave and only switch on the mac to finish things on Ableton.

If I go “only mac”, what’s less and less since first steps and sometimes near full steps are done on the iPad, I go for Logic route.

I also have a Launchpad Pro mk3 among other controllers but never bought nothing from NI due these aren’t full midi class compliant (afaik) and I don’t plan to buy anything until that issue gets adressed “somehow”. I can use my Launchpad with iPad (dedicated apps or third party) and Ableton/Logic in the mac.

I’m not the regular NI user but iPad regular user neither. Said that I buy samplepacks and iAPs (even some kind of subscription like zenbeats, DjPlayer or Loopy pro. You paid for a year updates and then if you don’t renew the subs, keep the app with the latest update of your year so no losses)

Lately the iPad app market seems a bit stagnated (aside covid) due how hard is for stablished brands to monetize the revenue flow (I think mixed model like novation/ampify or roland/zenbeats are the most profitable) maybe pointing something changing aka desktop apps going into iPads (in what I call freeze mode like the player someone pointed before me) and prices getting better suited but alongside these subscription models of “subsandgeteverything or payforwhatyouneed” to get lower user tiers onboard.

Example of missed oportunity. (never is too late btw)

Sad news… it requires a mac in between.

http://reactable.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Using_SNAP_with_Maschine_JAM.pdf

It’s maschine jam full class compliant? There’s documentation available for it? Like launchpad pro…

There are lots of options from one side to the other but NI seems neglect(ed) them over years…

offtopic end.

• nightjar

A "iPadOS Music Production System" would be a great "side-car" to my main rig.

I can imagine this product letting me work on parts of a song away from my main rig, then integrating easily. It would be a smaller, more robust than taking a laptop rig around.

And when combined with a new NI "dumb" controller, it could be very much like buying a keyboard that has "built in sounds"... Easy to take out and play on gigs... iPad positioned as if it was a central display above a row of 8 rotary knobs on the "dumb" controller... showing their functions as per NKS.

• nightjar

Additionally... I can imagine this being so much more "immediate" in being ready to play.

Case in point: I own a KK88 as part of my main setup.

But when I want to casually play some music, it is too much of a hassle to sit down and play for a few minutes.

So recently I bought a Roland RD-88 just for more "immediate" playability... and better to take out on gig vs the KK88 plus laptop.

I would have much rather spent that $1200 on a new NI "dumb" controller + iPadOS version of the "Play Series".

• Kaiwan_NI

So essentially a sketchpad? Interesting!

• nightjar

I see it as much more than just a sketchpad... it can deliver its portion of "finished goods" to a project.

With the processing power of an Apple M1, with increased internal storage, with more RAM allocation per app... the current iPads are ready to handle more.

Apps needs to catch up to what is possible with this robust device.

• JMan
    JMan Member Posts: 2 Member

Hey you guys I'm sorry it took me long to answer back I could not log back in I understand everyone ( : but it was just a thought take care everyone have a blessed day

• Mutis

Since I’m on 2015 model instead a pro and Apple still not delivered Logic Pro for iPad.

Time expend it’s 80/20 iPad/mac and only because I don’t want to use Cubasis or similar DAW available. More than sketchpad I see mac as “final stage” and I paid in the past to professional studio for mix/master my instrumentals just to avoid that boring workflow stage.

For live gigs I prefer stable standalone haedware and simplify my needs instead expecting run my studio environment and again iPad apps are the nearest and cheapest option against Force/Toraiz/M+ proposals…

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert

For live gigs I prefer stable standalone haedware and simplify my needs instead expecting run my studio environment and again iPad apps are the nearest and cheapest option against Force/Toraiz/M+ proposals…

Important is the word cheapest. How much could NI charge for iKontakt? Would it be profitable?

• Kaiwan_NI

We're turning your feature request into a thought experiment 😛

• Mutis
    edited April 2022

Cheaper starting from less step up investment. I bought iPad (415€ newat 2017, being a 2015 model), cck3usb (30€ second hand), audio interface (get one from NI if you want to make numbers), midi controller (even cheap and old like m-audio trigger finger mk1 is class compliant but Maschine/KK not) and then apps. I can use the iPad for lots of things or just freeze it and make it “standalone gear). So I expend less but got more options.

If I compare it to M+… I end figuring macbook air (or old mac mini) + NI M+ is still powerful and cheaper (M+ was released at 1.4-1.6k being more expensive than Akai MpcX or Force)

So profitability has more to see with business model than price range.

With actual model… subscription seems next step for Komplete Suite so maybe the Roland Zenbeats model could be an option.

With NovationxAmpify model that iKontakt (or new iMaschine) could be tied to hardware (sadly NI fired that division) so you buy the app and the controller unlocks features (like Launchpad/Groovebox apps) but you can use the app without the controller (and buy packs) like iMaschine…

Since we don’t know what’s the actual business model (we know the old and we know some internal changes but not single clue about what’s next) it’s hard to say what price could it be. If NI put iKontakt as GospelMusicians is doing with it’s samplersynths or Chomplr I can see people dropping 80€ like people who expend around that for Fabfilter suite but without external midi support (and midi learn of course) it will be a fail for sure.

Cubasis/Auria 30-50€…

Free with iAPs, packs, subscription by year but keeping bought items…

Hardware based unlock…

so I answer you @Kubrak even it’s clear you don’t read fully my comments or just look what you want to. I also know you haven’t tried Apple products (stated by you) but I’m trying to help the OP (who asked for developers not opinions btw) since there are alternatives in iPad. Also since @Kaiwan_NI is monitoring the topic and doesn’t know about old forum contributions.

The fact NI is looking for this kind of feedback should make you wonder about our regular discussions and AS.

As I said many times “time is telling” and more and more iPad users will ask for NI solutions. This topic is an example, nt an opinion. ;)