Finding similar sounds in Komplete Kontrol

GeorgeX
GeorgeX Member Posts: 21 Member
edited March 2022 in Komplete General

I have the Komplete package with an almost unmanageable number of sounds. And I use the Komplete Kontrol software to find the right sounds for me. I miss an option that determines as many (almost) similar sounds as possible.

Often the attributes of Komplete Kontrol don't seem clear enough to me to find a sound that fits. But I also can't always listen to masses of sounds. I want to get where I want to go faster.

Comments

• Fox
    Fox Member Posts: 12 Member

There's a tiny sliver below the selected instrument to pick banks. That's as close as I've been able to get to narrowing it down, but the names of the banks (mostly expansions) aren't very meaningful, so I often have to keep a browser tab open to the list of expansions on the Komplete product page to see what their themes are.

• Murat Kayi
    Murat Kayi Member Posts: 429 Pro

If you found a sound without using tags, check its info/details in the browser to filter for the same tags

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,274 Guru

This is a glaring shortcoming of KK.......both in the GUI design and creaky code.

Hope izoptope and some machine learning tech can help dramatically improve.

• GeorgeX

Thank you for the answers.

• nanotable
    nanotable Member Posts: 93 Advisor

Something like Waves Cosmos with additional features („find similar sounds“, for example) built right into KK would be quite a thing, for sure.

• GeorgeX

I also hope that Komplete Kontrol will get a "similar feature", maybe NI will see that?

• Kaiwan_NI
    Kaiwan_NI Administrator Posts: 2,523 admin
    edited March 2022

@GeorgeX Added a feature request to your post so we don't miss it!

• Murat Kayi
    Murat Kayi Member Posts: 429 Pro

Often the attributes of Komplete Kontrol don't seem clear enough to me to find a sound that fits. But I also can't always listen to masses of sounds.

I have to say I don't really get what the problem actually is. Not to say that I think OP does not experience one, it's just that the KK browser and the Machine browser totally transformed searching for sounds in my workflow, positively that is.

For example, I look for a one-shot sample of "acoustic" and "wood" sound and narrow it down by only "Maschine factory library" and there it is: a short manageable list of similar sounds!

So, what is the problem? Tags inappropriate? Not enough sounds? I mean, I didn't even add a custom search keyword...So I have this suspicion that it might have to do with learning to use the browser so it works for you.

But if it is not that and you have come to the conclusion that the browser just does not work for you: Have you tried XLN Audio XO?

• Kaiwan_NI
    Kaiwan_NI Administrator Posts: 2,523 admin

I saw more services moving away from using tags to having a neat user-friendly "recommended sounds" section (which technically is perhaps managed by tags/meta data but requires less work from a user perspective) so I'm guessing maybe that's what this post is all about. 🤔

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert

I think that feature "copy tags from this sound to browsing filter" (the same what one can make manually, but may take time and is sort of clumsy) would do the job. More or less.

And, it would be handy to add "jump to random position of list of pathes/sounds".