NI File Locations, duplications causing Cubase to not find my NI Instruments

Ken D
Ken D Member Posts: 4 Member
edited January 2022 in Native Access

Hi All,

I recently used NI Access to move all my content files from my system drive C to drive E to avoid my system drive filling up, but since then my NI Instruments do not show up in Cubase Media window. You will see from all the details in the jpg the following anomolies:

1. Media window (far right) has instruments greyed out and no sound when selected
  2. I have 2 occurences of battery 4.dll and other dll files, on the original 'C:\program files\Native Instruments\VST Plugins 64bit\ & E:\Native Instrument Files\VST 64 Files\ folders
  3. The Cubase VST plugin window shows it's referencing the copy of my battery 4.dll on drive E
  4. But the NI Access app shows it's referencing the copy of my battery 4.dll on drive C

Nonetheless, I can still load the instruments into each track and they do still work!

Can some kind person please advise what I should do to rectify the above anomolies (presumably somehow remove 1 of the duplicate files and somehow tell NI Access and Cubase to look in the same place). In the VST plugin path settings window (not visible in jpg) I do have both of the above paths entered in there.

Many thanks in advance!

Ken D

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod
    Answer ✓

Hey Ken,

Your destinations in Native Access look good. You should simply reinstall the programs, then manually delete the files in their previous location.

You should put only the correct VST folder in your Cubase plug-in manager, in this case that would be C/Program Files/Native Instruments/VST PlugIns 64bit

Media Bay is for Steinberg content or samples, not for NI content or libraries.

I'll put this articel as a little reminder: Plug-in Administration in Cubase 9 (and higher)

Answers

• Jeremy_NI

Hey Ken,

For applications and programs, the best would be to change the install destinations in Native Access and then reinstall the plug-ins completely. I understand that you want to keep your C drive light, but applications and programs don't take that much space, we usually recommend to have content (like Kontakt libraries, Reaktor instruments, expansions) on an external drive and to keep the plug-ins and programs on the system drive.

• Ken D
    Ken D Member Posts: 4 Member

Hi Jeremy,

Many thanks for your prompt response and advice.

Will I lose any custom settings on VST instruments saved in my project files if they haven't been saved as presets or should I go through all my projects to save them as presets before reinstalling the programs please?

And will I even lose my custom presets already saved?

Also, when reinstalling the programs, what is the best way to do that (with which app?) eg. do I need to first use control panel (windows) to uninstall all of the Native Instrument occurences eg Battery 4 etc? or simply within Native Access just click on the button on the right of that says 'FULL VERSION and changes to 'reinstall'

Presumably I don't have to uninstall the sound sets like Alicia's keys or is it best to uninstall all?

Please see my current settings:

Do those paths look ok to you please?

The VST 32 & 64 locations have the dll files in (duplicated on drives C & E, therefore should I delete the versions on E before/after reinstalling, but before opening Cubase)?

In Cubase should I enter:

1) In VST plug-in window, the path for the applications in C: drive & which of those paths listed in the Preferences (application of VST64 location)?

2) In Media Bay, the path for the content in E: Drive?

Thanks for your time and help!

Ken

• Jeremy_NI
    Answer ✓

Hey Ken,

Your destinations in Native Access look good. You should simply reinstall the programs, then manually delete the files in their previous location.

You should put only the correct VST folder in your Cubase plug-in manager, in this case that would be C/Program Files/Native Instruments/VST PlugIns 64bit

Media Bay is for Steinberg content or samples, not for NI content or libraries.

I'll put this articel as a little reminder: Plug-in Administration in Cubase 9 (and higher)