Editing genres in Traktor

JayBe
JayBe Member Posts: 5 Member

Hi, is it possible to edit the genres? I'd like to take some out (I'll probably never use Metal tracks!), and add some. Thanks in advance

Tagged:

Comments

• Sûlherokhh
    Sûlherokhh Member, Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,661 mod

If you enabled inline editing you can edit directly in the browser. You can also select one or more tracks in the browser and the right-click-->edit the metatags, including genre, for a whole bunch of tracks. If your aim is adjust specific genres you should go into the browser tree and open the topmost node. There is a sub-node called genre which lists all variations of genre entries. Click on one of them and you get a list of all tracks with the specified genre entry. Select all of them and use 'edit' to change all of them.

• Karlos Santos
    Karlos Santos Member Posts: 136 Advisor

Great tip from @Sûlherokhh

To enable Inline Editing just open Traktor Preferences -> Browser Details -> Editing.

• JayBe
    JayBe Member Posts: 5 Member

Hi both, thank you for your responses, I've checked and I had Inline Editing enabled. I think I'm trying what was suggested but I don't understand "you should go into the browser tree and open the topmost node. There is a sub-node called genre which lists all variations of genre entries. Click on one of them and you get a list of all tracks with the specified genre entry. Select all of them and use 'edit' to change all of them" - is there a 'dummies' way of explaining this please?!

• Sûlherokhh
    Sûlherokhh Member, Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,661 mod

The 'Browser Tree' is the file structure on the left side in the browser section, left of the selected playlists. The upper part contains the playlists of your collection, the bottom part contains the folder tree of your computer. At the top is a node called 'Collection'. If you press the plus sign next to it, the node expands to show several subnodes that contain the songs in your collection sorted by 'Artist', 'Samples' etc., including a sorting by 'Genre'.

• alec.tron
    alec.tron Member Posts: 72 Pro
    edited March 2022

One recommendation - do not use Traktor as a tag/metadata editor. It's editing features do exist, but are utterly bare-bones...! i.e. it's not supporting many modern (aka, since 2001...) metadata features, like multi-value metadata (i.e. more than 1 genre/artist/etc...), nor custom metadata fields. Furthermore, Traktor reformates/mutates and even deletes user curated metadata regularly (depending on format/field name/formatting... I've written a few threads documenting this on the old forum).

If you can live with the limitations & issues, then no worries - it's just good to know beforehand what you're basing your workflow on...

c.

• wayfinder
    wayfinder Member Posts: 341 Guru

Traktor's genres list is compiled from the files in your collection. If you have no tracks tagged as Metal, you will not see that genre in the tree. And the other way around, if you click a genre in the directory tree, the browser will show all the files in your collection tagged as such.

• Bassam
    Bassam Member Posts: 4 Member

Hello @wayfinder, I hoped it works in the way you described, But I tried to do that and still, the genre menu list is filled with all the basic common genres, I wish there is a ninja hack to remove the ones I don't need in my list to make it short and precise.

If anyone knows of a way to remove unwanted genres from the Traktor list please share the tip :)

• lord-carlos
    lord-carlos Member Posts: 2,218 Expert

Remove the genre you don't want from the tags of the files.

• The Sarge
    The Sarge Member Posts: 125 Helper

that seems not to be working with all genres:

I still got things like Alternative, Blues etc. wich I neither got imported nor found in the pre-installed things from NI

for "own" genres it works perfectly, but not for the "genres from installation by NI"

maybe you or someone else have an idea how to get those genres forever

• wayfinder
    wayfinder Member Posts: 341 Guru

It sounds like you have one or more files with those genres in your collection then? If you cannot remove the tags from some files, check your file permissions - they may live in a protected directory or have read-only flags set.