Better way to record Midi Output from sequencer vst in Maschine in 2022?

Sequencesounds
Sequencesounds Member Posts: 62 Helper
edited March 2022 in Maschine

Really loving the new Rhythmizer 2.1vst from Futurephonics (https://futurephonic.co.uk/categories/software) - an awesome way to generate sequences that was originally a M4L device for Ableton

As far as I am aware, Midi fx cannot be used natively in Maschine, so I am using a slightly DIY method of using Bluecats Patchworks and loading Rhythmizer, which inputs into a synth vst AND a discontinued vst called midiLooper by Piz (https://www.kvraudio.com/product/midilooper-by-insert-piz-here) which captures the midi output and then exports as a midi file (see image)

To add to it, Rhythmizer is a vst3,which wouldn't work anyway natively in Maschine

Unfortunately, Rhythmizer does not have the ability to save midi files - this a problem when using the 'looper' function in Rhythmizer which is not saveable - ie you get a good midi loop going, but it wont be saved when you next open your project

Although the above Patchworks/midiLooper method works, its not perfect and requires a load of editing and movement of the midi file generated by midiLooper before it provides the same note sequence as the original Rhythmizer looper.

I know that this question was discussed before in the old forum in 2014, but I am wondering if there is any updated ways of solving the midi vst fx in Maschine problem.

@D-One (I think) recommended the Image Line Mini Modular plugin, but it didn't work for me - it would not read any vst3s like Rhythmizer.

Are there any new vsts like Patchworks that also enable midi output to be recorded - as far as I can see, it is not possible to capture midi output in Patchworks...

I should add that I work exclusively in Maschine and do not use it as a vst in Ableton etc

As I say, my method works, but it seems a bit clunky and relies on a discontinued plugin

Tagged:

Comments

• Sequencesounds
    edited March 2022

Was double posted for some reason!

• Murat Kayi
    Murat Kayi Member Posts: 429 Pro

I love to use the off kilter sequencers of Reaktor and for that, I installed Loopmidi to route the MIDI out of Reaktor standalone directly into Maschine. No intermediate MIDI file creation necessary. Would that help?

• Sequencesounds

Its a good idea, but doesn't, unfortunately help with the 'recording ' of the midi output from Rhythmizer.

But many thanks for the suggestion!

• Sequencesounds

On a side note, I just discovered the amazing VST3 to VST2 adaptor (https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=565924)

Although it does not help with Rhythmizer as it still is not possible to output midi and record it, its an excellent utility that means that vst3 plugins will open as vst2 in Maschine

Not sure how stable it is, but extremely easy to implement for things like the new Korg Opsix, which is VST3 only

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited March 2022

@Sequencesounds said:

@D-One (I think) recommended the Image Line Mini Modular plugin, but it didn't work for me - it would not read any vst3s like Rhythmizer.

Are there any new vsts like Patchworks that also enable midi output to be recorded - as far as I can see, it is not possible to capture midi output in Patchworks...

I've tried it does not work here either, Rhythmizer doesn't load inside Mini-host for me.

Patchworks seems great but the price tag is pretty high for it does IMO, there are a bunch of plugin wrappers out there but tbh I never had the patience to try them as I gave up forcing MIDI tools in Maschine and just stick with a DAW for that...

• Sequencesounds
    edited March 2022

After a fevered day of research on this, I can report that plogue bidule (https://www.plogue.com/downloads.html#bidule) works 100% for this, as it has a midi recorder module.

The demo seems to work fine for this, but I think I'll buy the full program now as its only $95

Here's an image of how to make it work, fairly simple

You can save the midi notes output by the Rhythmizer looper as midi files via the midi recorder, and they translate perfectly, unlike my previous patchworks/midilooper effort, which outputted jumbled up midi file that were difficult to decipher

So there you have it, an easy way to record a sequencer vst output in Maschine and especially to use the amazing Rhythmizer vst - which I totally recommend for only £20!

A bit silly that you have to use a workaround like this, but that's all part of using Maschine, I guess

I am sure that bidule could be used in many other ways to make up for some of the deficiencies of Maschine in other ways as well, with routing etc.

• jmp909
    jmp909 Member Posts: 6 Member
    edited July 2022

try my solution here using free plugins (on Windows at least) https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/comment/23649/#Comment_23649

(update: sorry, it is using IL's MiniHost Modular in this case)

note, you don't need to host your instrument inside another host plugin though, just the Midi stuff.

The key here is a Virtual Midi cable (LoopMidi in my case) and PizJuice's MidiOut plugin. The rest can presumably be swapped out