Massive X scanning presets every time

Fox
Fox Member Posts: 12 Member

I've done all the standard suggestions: delete the preset DB and rebuild, run as admin, and so on. It happens in any host I try. I want to use Massive X, but this is a workflow killer, and it seems like no one has any idea what's causing it when the standard handful of suggestions don't work.

Best Answers

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod
    Answer ✓

Hey @Fox we'll need more info on your system, I'll get in touch by email shortly.

• Fox
    edited March 2022 Answer ✓

So here's what happened: Massive X will scan "\Users\[user name]\Documents\Native Instruments\User Content\Massive X\Presets" if there's something in there.

I have some theories, but somehow the whole factory library got plopped in there. If It wasn't me trying to organize things, it might be the factory library installer downloaded from the page where you get the demo, from back before I bought Komplete. Since a lot of people have this same issue, it does suggest something at that level that might not be obvious to test for when developing Massive X.

Anyway. I deleted the nearly 600 presets, and it no longer does the long, boring scan on load. It doesn't even do it with some actual user-made presets I put in there, which suggests the factory library names were causing some kind of conflict and forcing another full scan rather than using the cached list in the database.

Answers

• Jeremy_NI

Hey Fox,

Do you have a lot user presets, third party presets or are these all factory presets ? In what DAW are you using Massive X ? If you open Komplete Kontrol in standalone and load Massive X for example, like here:

does Massive X scan all the presets ?

Does it make a difference if you load the VST or the VST3 ?

• Fox
    edited March 2022

All presets are from Komplete 13, installed through Native Access. I tried both VST and VST3 through Komplete Kontrol, Live 11, Reaper, Cubase, and even LMMS just for fun. Same result. I tried moving the Massive X installation (uninstall, change Application directory in Native Access, install) to a folder under my Users subfolder on the theory it was a permissions issue. Same result.

Possibly meaningful: if I add it in Live, let Massive X scan, delete the track, then add another Massive X, it doesn't do the scan again. It does scan again if I replace it in Komplete Control and re-add it.

• Jeremy_NI
    Answer ✓

Hey @Fox we'll need more info on your system, I'll get in touch by email shortly.

• Fox

Thanks. When it's fixed, I'll post about it here if it turns out to be something user-fixable for anyone searching up the same problem.

• Fox
    edited March 2022 Answer ✓

So here's what happened: Massive X will scan "\Users\[user name]\Documents\Native Instruments\User Content\Massive X\Presets" if there's something in there.

I have some theories, but somehow the whole factory library got plopped in there. If It wasn't me trying to organize things, it might be the factory library installer downloaded from the page where you get the demo, from back before I bought Komplete. Since a lot of people have this same issue, it does suggest something at that level that might not be obvious to test for when developing Massive X.

Anyway. I deleted the nearly 600 presets, and it no longer does the long, boring scan on load. It doesn't even do it with some actual user-made presets I put in there, which suggests the factory library names were causing some kind of conflict and forcing another full scan rather than using the cached list in the database.

• Nico_NI
    Nico_NI Administrator Posts: 1,124 admin

Thanks for the update Fox, that's definitely insightful and worth to look into. We'll ping our Massive X team about it.