Is the Maschine internal code at 96k?

shuttle358
shuttle358 Member Posts: 3 Member
edited March 2022 in Maschine

Since upgrading my system components and working at 96Khz, its clear the sound quality of Maschine is subpar. This is for a simple live line input.

Comparing the live sound (or samples, plugins, etc) routed into Maschine versus competitors, there is a noticeable step down in quality that generally is similar to going from 96 to 44.

I also noticed there is no change to the audio when switching Maschine prefs from 96K down to 44K. This makes me VERY suspicious that the internal code of Maschine is not actually functioning for 96K, despite being compliant for it. Given that the internal graphics code is not optimized for Retina displays and operating in a late 2000's decade era, I feel it could be possible the audio is the same.

Anyone happen to know? Of course, this is using the same sound driver in my other packages (Coreaudio / Fireface UFX / 96Khz).

Tagged:

Comments

• DeepThumb
    DeepThumb Member Posts: 170 Advisor

What do you mean with 'audio quality' and 'subpar' exactly? And what competitors? What measurement equipment? What parameters?

Sorry, your wording sounds amateurish and unclear without details.

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,575 Expert

Would need examples of your claims there, or at least what you compare to, what is your source material and what (if any) effects and other adjustments you have between the tests.

My experience from the few decades I have heard these kinds of arguments is in almost all cases there is nothing really to note, usually it is either a simple issue with perception or a flawed method of comparison.

In order to have any validity, you would need to offer some steps to repro the problem and some examples of your findings, otherwise it's just a "hunch" you have. Since there are many actual professionals out there both developing things like Maschine and also using it in a professional environment i'd be expecting the forums to be awash with similar complaints if it were an issue. GUI design and audio engine are very different things, just because one doesn't do something you expect doesn't instantly mean everything is a problem.

• shuttle358

I said it sounds typical of a sample rate reduction from 96 to 44. Any audio professional would understand what that means, like saying something sounds like a Pultec or SSL. So the question was regarding internal structure of Maschine, which neither of you could answer. Only judgements and assumptions passed which are not helpful.

Regardless, I found the solution. I contacted the engineers at RME, who make converters that reach 192Khz and are quite familiar with sample rates.. Naturally, they understood what I heard and said it is a problem with CoreAudio upsampling. Recording the output of Maschine retains the full 96Khz information. For some reason it varies from app to app - I noticed Logic does the reverse and sounds thinner and brighter. So theres the answer.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,788 Expert
    edited March 2022

So, if I understand you right. It is not Maschine, but some quirk in Apple OS....

• shuttle358

I was told from the makers of my converter it lies with Coreaudio. But nobody from NI answered, so my original question about internal code of NI is not known.

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,575 Expert

Glad you got it sorted then.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,788 Expert
    edited March 2022

Maybe to try it on different computer might help, or different audio interface. I thought there are no problems concerning audio on Macs....

The test should be pretty easy even on your setup. Feed Maschine with signal of 35kHz, or so. It should stay in signal after leaving Maschine if set to 96k. You may use spectral analyzer plugin to see, whether it is there, or not.

In case Maschine would work 44k internally, 35kHz would in the best case disapear, in the worse case it would show as different frequency or frequencies..... Below 20k.