[New release] PLAYBOX is a game changer for creativity and workflow!

Matt_NI
Matt_NI Administrator Posts: 1,106 admin
edited May 2022 in NI News

This is a BIG ONE! We're super excited to share our latest Kontakt instrument, PLAYBOX. Created by Antonio de Spirt, Mickaël Le Goff and Nadine Raihani, the instrument presents a new innovative way to deal with writer’s block and kickstart creativity.

PLAYBOX combines chord generation, sample layering and also features a randomizer to blend between 905 immersive samples, 224 chord sets, and 217 effects presets. And on top of all that, an endless amount of fun driven by the ability to import your own samples.

"One of the goals of PLAYBOX is to pick people up at whatever level they're at. Whether they’re a professional sound designer or a first-time producer, everyone has the ability to customize their sound, use their own samples and utilize their own chords"

We've been playing with this one for hours already and it's one of the most fun instrument we got our hands on.

For a bit more insights and really grasp how magical the instrument really is, check this video with Robot Koch👇

You can also find a full walkthrough here: https://youtu.be/INv5DYSYhyI

Check it out on our website 👉 👉 👉 https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/synths/playbox/

Comments

• tom80
    tom80 Member Posts: 21 Member

Looks nice. Can I use it on Maschine+?

• Matt_NI

You can use it in controller mode in Maschine 2 but not in standalone

• PK The DJ
    PK The DJ Member Posts: 1,002 Guru

Oh damn, there I was getting all excited at seeing something new available. That's disappointing.

• Matt_NI

Maschine Plus or not, this is still an amazing library in my book 😉

• ShelLuser
    ShelLuser Member Posts: 240 Pro

It looks quite interesting but to be honest I also have some mixed feelings about it...

I wonder how taxing this is going to be for your computer? If there's one thing I've learned about Kontakt instruments over the years it's that some can be very taxing even though the sounds that they generate... well, while they are definitly solid and full sounds I often just can't help wonder about the resources it nibs away. Also in comparison to other instruments (U-HE is a big thing here).

Ergo me wondering about this critter as well. If you look at the demo and in specific the part with the demo sounds then I can't help wonder... why does the animation around 1:00 - 1:10 seem to stop at random intervals? Was that as designed or ... is the underlying PC having issues to catch up? Now, sure, any animated effects should be at the bottom of the barrel where priority is concerned but even so, it does make me wonder about the impact this critter might have.

Well, then we come up to the sounds themselves and... yah, no arguments there; I'm convinced that the creative potential is definitely there. But I also think it's fair to say that... I dunno, while beautiful for sure it's also fair to say that Komplete in itself also provides us with tons of awesome materials already. And I think that awesome legacy could now somewhat be causing a few issues for you here.

But that's just my first impressions on the thing.

The concept itself looks very interesting IMO.

• PK The DJ
    PK The DJ Member Posts: 1,002 Guru

A Maschine+ specific version would be cool. Something that randomly selects samples from your installed expansions. Roll the dice and have it select a drum loop, a bass sound, percussion, pads etc. combining stuff from all the expansions.

• Olihop
    Olihop Member Posts: 152 Advisor
    edited March 2022

I'm really excited about this new instrument. The approach and the possibilities are very nice.

The video of Jef Gibbons gives us a lot of interesting tips about this instrument.

Very good work guys!

I hope to see similar things happen on maschine :)

• Markpain
    Markpain Member Posts: 3 Member

I have tried everything and it will not install. I even downgraded from windows 11 to 10 and still it will not install. I am using Native Access and every time I install and refresh it says installed but when I search the install directory nothing is there nor does it appear in kontakt. What is the issue ?

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 2,967 mod

Others have this problem too, me also, i think/hope native will fix it as soon as possible. So it's not your computers fault.

Uwe

• Eric Rabb
    Eric Rabb Member Posts: 40 Member

Man, this is my next plugin !!!

• Matt_NI
    edited March 2022

I can confirm there is an issue being worked on right now for the installer on Windows. Please use this thread for updates or comment on the issue: https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/1877/playbox-not-being-installed-after-displaying-installation-successful

• LoveEnigma
    LoveEnigma Member Posts: 80 Advisor
    edited March 2022

I hope this is the correct place to ask this question.

I understand that the main idea of PLAYBOX is to trigger chord sets. I also see that when you click the "Audition" button on the Chords page, you can play melodies with that sampled instrument. However, there are a couple of quirks with that:

• When you switch the window or preset, the "Audition" option is disabled and then you are back to playing chord sets.
    • When you are in "Audition" mode, changing the "Samples" doesn't seem to be working. So, let's say I have a preset loaded with certain sounds and I enable "Audition" mode, I can play melodies with the sound, but now if change the samples (and reenable "Audition" mode if needed) and play the melody the sample change doesn't seem to reflect when I try to play melodies again.

I will check this again but just thought to leave it here so that I don't forget. Basically, my point is that it would be nice if there is a dedicated way to play samples melodically instead of just triggering chord sets (similar to "melody" instrument in other Session Guitarist libraries).

I have only spent an hour or so playing with PLAYBOX, so if I am missing something here, please let me know. Thanks!

• Kaiwan_NI
    Kaiwan_NI Administrator Posts: 2,523 admin

Hi @LoveEnigma I asked the creators of PLAYBOX for you and they said it's not a PLAYBOX feature unfortunately. The audition mode allows you to play a piano sound to practice chords playing melodically in case you want to record them. However, while it's not exactly what you're asking here, you can of course load a Unison Chord set. This would enable you to play a melody with 8 notes.

Hope this helps!

• LoveEnigma
    LoveEnigma Member Posts: 80 Advisor
    edited March 2022

Hi Kaiwan, many thanks for checking it for me. Okay, I can understand. I appreciate the suggestion about using Unison Chord set - didn't think about it. That should help a bit. Of course, I don't want or expect PLAYBOX to play full blown melodies, like a synth/piano instrument, but the idea was (is) to make use of the sounds to create small/simple hook lines as well (to go with the chords). :)

By the way, I wonder if a dark skin of the GUI was thought for PLAYBOX. At times I feel the GUI is a bit too bright for my eyes. It's beautiful and I love it, but it would have been nice to see a darker version. I have never seen skins with a Kontakt library, so not sure if that would be possible, but just thought to leave this personal feedback here.

Thanks again.

This discussion has been closed.