Why are the sounds in Maschine 2 so rich, and when i transfer to Live, they are so weak?

scratches
scratches Member Posts: 15 Member
edited March 2022 in Maschine

Hi everybody. I´m new here, so please excuse me if i´m wrong here.

Following situation: I create a drumloop with my Maschine MK3 and the Maschine 2 software. It sounds pretty rich and good. My method to transfer it to Ableton Live, is to take the midi tracks and put em into the DAW via drag&drop (see screenshot). Then I take the single tracks, equip em via Komplete Kontroll with the sound like it is played in Maschine 2. It works, but now the sound is pretty weak and lame.

Is it the method how i transfer to the DAW completely wrong, or why does it sound so lame in the DAW?

I would be pretty thankfull if someone could help me! Maybe it exists a video which shows how to do it right, or someone could tell me?

Like allready mentioned, I´m new and a beginner, so please excuse my mistakes.

Thank you in advance and all the best wishes!

Comments

• Foldyman
    Foldyman Member Posts: 39 Member

I think maybe if you're just dragging the MIDI pattern over, you could be forgoing any plugin effects you have at either the sound, group or master levels in Maschine SW.

In Maschine, check what plugins are at each of those levels for the pattern you want to export, then try and replicate those in your DAW as well as the sound itself.

• scratches

Thank you for you response @Foldyman !

OK, thank you! Could you tell me how to find out on the easyest way? I allready tried to find out by looking in the FX section in the Maschin2 SW, but there are only the poties to see...?

How do you transfer your Maschine Drumloops into your DAW? Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited March 2022

You're transferring the MIDI to DAW then using KK to play each drum sound?

If you're using the Maschine lib Kits/Groups my guess is that your loading only the one-shots samples into KK, MAS Kits come with a lot of insert FX on the Sounds/Pad and on the Group, including maximizers and saturation which naturally makes everything louder or fuller which tends to sound better in most some many genres.

So basically you're just loading the "dry" samples if I understood you correctly.

• scratches

@Foldyman now I think I know what you meant - see picture. Right?

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited March 2022

Yeap...

It's to make it loud so people say: wow, these drums really knock, slap, or whatever the trendy term is nowadays. 😂

If you're just using one Kit you can just drag and drop the MIDI into live and enable DrumKit mode in the MAS plugin, that's not what the mode is designed for but it should work as a lazy MIDI routing option. This way MIDI triggers the plug and you keep all the FX.

• scratches

Thank you @D-One #Please excuse my question for this simple thing, but i´m new and sitting on it since hours, so maybe i´m bit dumb now, but can you tell me how to "enable DrumKit mode in the MAS plugin"

Thank you so much in advance!

• scratches

Yes, I transfer MIDI to DAW and then use KK to play each drum sound. If this is wrong, how can i do it right?

Thank you in advance!

• Foldyman

Yes, I transfer MIDI to DAW and then use KK to play each drum sound. If this is

wrong, how can i do it right?

You could either use Maschine as a plugin in your DAW (in which case it would have all the plugins loaded).

Or, you could do as you have been doing, and just replicate all the plugins as they are in Maschine in your DAW instead. Or indeed use the MIDI track to trigger Maschine in drumkit mode as @D-One suggested.

Option A is easier but might not be the way you want to work.

Still figuring out the best way to work myself. I think I'm landing on something around "start off in Maschine standalone, then open the same project as a VST in my DAW and finish things off there".

Seems there's almost as many ways to do things as there are people doing them!

• Foldyman

Drumkit mode is here:

• scratches

Thank you @Foldyman for all your time an patience!

• ShelLuser
    ShelLuser Member Posts: 240 Pro

So... sorry for being late to the convo but... If Maschine provides you with full sounds then why would you even want to bother with dragging MIDI into Live in the first place?

I know you said you were new so yah... I'd start by adding Maschine to your Live setup vs. trying to circumvent it by using Komplete Kontrol instead. See, that part makes no sense to me because... Maschine pretty much soes the same thing that Komplete Kontrol does.

May I suggest:

Now, while this does focus on both controllers the essence is pretty much the same: using Maschine (the VST) within Live. And IMO that's what you should focus on.

Was there any other reason why you moved the MIDI into Live except for triggering Komplete Kontrol? Because I'd leave the MIDI in Maschine and simply treat it as a blackbox. which you can add to your sound.

If needed you can also output several sounds individually (by using dedicated audio tracks for it) which can then help to 'blend' the audio into your Live project again (assuming you're working on a project of course).

Hope this can give you some ideas!

• scratches

Thank you @ShelLuser

The main reason why I want to put the MIDI from Maschine into Live is, to be able to work on the drums in combination while working on other instruments. So i can bring the tracks together easyer. You understand what I mean? So I can take the MIDI from the drums (from Maschine) and develop the tracks together with some new stuff, for example some guitars or bass and adjust all together in Live.

Or is this a stupid idea?

Thank you in advance!

• Jon Watte
    Jon Watte Member Posts: 77 Advisor

You can use Maschine as a VST plugin instrument, and have the best of both worlds! Send MIDI to Maschine, and it should just play the sounds out to your DAW, using the sound design already in the pads/kits.

Or you can re-record the Maschine loops as audio in your DAW, and then play them back like that. You can still cut them up, re-trigger, and all the rest -- even do those resonator-bank sweeping-filter wubby time stretch things the kids like these days.

• scratches

Thank you @Jon Watte !

I will try as soon as I´m at home!

And thank you for the information about the wubby thingy😄

Cheers!

• tetsuneko
    tetsuneko Member Posts: 587 Guru
    edited March 2022

Indeed, any way you slice it, there is no benefit to using Komplete Kontrol for any of it. Far better to use a plugin instance of Maschine in Ableton. You get to reuse all your sounds and groups exactly as they exist in Maschine standalone app.