Please make creating a multi-output device in Kontakt more straight forward.

soapmak3r
soapmak3r Member Posts: 5 Member
edited January 2022 in Kontakt

I would really appreciate it if Kontakt was updated to make creating multi-output devices much more straight forward.

When I use Kontakt drum libraries, it is really much more complicated that it should, or needs to be to output the individual kit pieces to their own channels on the DAW mixer.

Great sounding drums libraries and very detailed samples, but a major pain to actually mix in a DAW.

The way that Steven Slate Drums, or BFD3 handles this is very intuitive and easy to set up, and works great.

Comments

• tempsperdu
    tempsperdu Member Posts: 290 Pro
    This has been mentioned countless time to no avail, and it is totally ridiculous that one of the best groove boxes in the business is also the worst to even set up its own drum software. If someone can explain to me why all the pads are set to C3 and why there isn't even a chromatic template starting at C1, I'd be rather interested.
    Coupled with an almost complete lack of comprehensive guides or videos, and you might well ask what goes on (or rather doesn't) in some people's minds.
    Reaper practically does it for you, and yet NI's coverage is marked mainly by its absence.

• EvilDragon
    EvilDragon Moderator Posts: 1,022 mod
    edited January 2022
    The main problem is that VST2 doesn't support dynamic output assignment. And while VST3 can support that, DAW support for that VST3 feature is spotty at best.

So, the way you deal with this is that you prepare a fixed output setup (say, 20 stereo outputs and 8 mono outputs), then make that default for all targets. Then whenever you need to route something, it's all gonna be ready to go.

@tempsperdu This is not about Battery or Maschine. :)
  • tempsperdu
    tempsperdu Member Posts: 290 Pro
    EvilDragon said:

So, the way you deal with this is that you prepare a fixed output setup (say, 20 stereo outputs and 8 mono outputs), then make that default for all targets. Then whenever you need to route something, it's all gonna be ready to go.
     :)
    Preparing multiple outputs isn't great and could certainly be better, though it is 'covered', but maybe I'm reading too much into the OP's frustration, because I think it isn't totally due to just multiple outputs that is the problem, it's the whole drum mapping scenario, whether in Maschine or Kontakt. There's a paucity of instruction on it, most coming from non NI sources. I really don't think it needs to be like that. I'm now able to combat most of the issues I've come across, but only with a lot of help here and elsewhere, which actually took literally years to get useful responses on. The entire transpose workflow is ridiculously open to needless difficulties.  IMHO it should be covered far better in the accompanying PDF's as well as on NI's website. The entire thing is on the kack handed side of things rather than the elegant, simple side of both Maschine and Kontakt. Unfortunately, at the moment, I only see things getting messier rather than simpler with elegance being 'yesterdays' scenario as things *cough*  'develop'
    People who make music, in the main, want to make music, good, bad or whatever, they don't want to have to go twice round the houses just to use drums that can be edited in a reasonable fashion.
    Please don't take any of my criticisms personally, but I do question how much user experience figures, especially recently, in NI's  'roadmap'
  • EvilDragon
    EvilDragon Moderator Posts: 1,022 mod