Kontakt 6 and Roland V Drums [VAD series]

Ant G.
Ant G. Member Posts: 19 Member
edited March 2022 in Kontakt

Hello I've the VAD 706 series Roland drum kit. All is working well. I have successfully installed the VAD-706 driver to Win 11

I wish to use the VAD-706 with Native Instruments Kontakt (either stand alone or via Studio One by PreSonus).

1)the VAD-706 driver shows in Device Manager

2)I have then chosen VAD-706 in Kontakt 6 by Native Instruments (Abbey Road 60s) with OMNI or Channel 10 - both work fine and recognize the triggering on the VAD 706 Roland Kit. Audio Output is heard correctly and registered in Kontakt.

All of the above work fine. No Issues.

My question is this: Tom 1 (10") on the V Drum Kit triggers a Ride Cymbal sound in Abbey Road and also The Roland Ride Cymbal doesn't trigger any sound whatsoever. The Full Abbey Road 60s Kit shows 5 drums, hi-hat and 4 cymbals. The Roland drum kit 5 drums with 2 crash cymbals and 1 ride cymbal. Likely 1 reason why there's a mapping issue.

All of the other V Drum MIDI devices (such as Tom 2 and Tom 3) appear to be mapped correctly though I am unsure if say the Rim on the Snare is triggered correctly. 

Might anyone have a tutorial or other suggestions on how to get the correct mapping completed? I'm a newbie with the V Drum series and fairly new to Kontakt.

My goals are: to play Abbey Road 60s Drummer live from the Roland VAD 706 drum kit to the laptop then I will use Laptop Audio output via a PA. Secondly to Record in PreSonus Studio One with correct V Drum mapping to Abbey Road.

Thank you in advance

Rev

Tagged:

Best Answers

• EvilDragon
    EvilDragon Moderator Posts: 1,022 mod
    Answer ✓

Go to Options tab in AR Drums and there are different drum mappings available there. You don't see it currently because Kontakt's Output panel obstructs those tabs, so close that down and you will see the Options tab on the bottom of the instrument performance view.

• EvilDragon
    edited March 2022 Answer ✓

Kontakt GUI is not scalable/zoomable.

Answers

• EvilDragon
    Answer ✓

Go to Options tab in AR Drums and there are different drum mappings available there. You don't see it currently because Kontakt's Output panel obstructs those tabs, so close that down and you will see the Options tab on the bottom of the instrument performance view.

• Ant G.

Hi Evil Dragon - thanks for your response. Wanted to acknowledge and I will give that a whirl this eve. I noted the PreSonus instruments have the same issue..basically the MIDI drums are misaligned.

Side question re: Kontakt in a DAW - Have you found a way to Zoom In on Kontakt when it's used as a VST within Studio One? The window is quite small on a 17" laptop. Surely I could change the screen size to say 2K vs. 4K but it's only Kontakt that appears to be a static window.

PS I appreciate all the help you have provided this group. Thanks.

• EvilDragon
    edited March 2022 Answer ✓

Kontakt GUI is not scalable/zoomable.

• Ant G.

Received an update on a request to NI. Good news, it seems DPI is in the works: "Kontakt is not yet HiDPI ready, but that is being worked on currently.