Which software can I use for one-hit drum samples with a midi sequence

David Macklem
David Macklem Member Posts: 16 Member
edited March 2022 in Komplete General

Hello! If someone would be so kind to answer a very basic beginner's question:

If I want to use one-hit drum samples with a midi sequence (from a different source than the samples), can I do that in Kontakt, Battery, right in the DAW... or in all three of those?

Is there a method that is standard? Or better in your experience?

Comments

• Murat Kayi
    Murat Kayi Member Posts: 429 Pro

There is many ways to do that.

If you use battery, the cells will listen to MIDI input from certain notes, corresponding to the keys of a MIDI keyboard for example. You load Battery as a plugin, load presets or put your own samples on a cell and play them with your keyboard.

I have not understood where these one-shots come from. Are these isolated wav files you have somewhere? Then a sampler like Battery or a groovebox like Maschine would be ideal.

You can load them in Kontakt pretty easily if you have the full version, but it might be a bit overkill if you just wanna be able to trigger them as one-shots with a bit of fx processing

• David Macklem
    edited March 2022

Hello. Thank you for answering!

Maybe I don't know how to ask my question... what I mean, is that some drummers give .mid files, with grooves pre-programmed. I want to match those "midi grooves" with samples (yes, isolated WAV files). I won't need to play anything with my keyboard in this scenario.

• Murat Kayi
    Murat Kayi Member Posts: 429 Pro
    edited March 2022

I see, but for the plugins it actually makes no difference if you play them midi notes in or if they receive them from the track. So just load for example Battery as an instrument plugin in a Track that has your Midi file and you should have sound, no?

• David Macklem

OK. It seems Battery is the way to go. I'll give it a try. Thank you!