New Cue Points Type and rewiev

nickygdj
nickygdj Member Posts: 38 Pro

I thought about an addition and a graphic-stylistic revision of the Cue Points markers.

Current markers:

Grid, Load, Cue, Loop, Fade-in, Fade-Out

CUE MARKER - review: (Color CUE)

CUE works the same way, I would add a selection of 10 colors, I would change the icon by updating it, or the icon can stay the same but we add the ability to set different colors.

LOOP MARKER - review

At the LOOP marker I would insert a circle appearing on the screen with the quantity of beats in loop 4,8,16... as already happens in the APP version

I would also add the possibility of setting that Marker LOOP as ACTIVE LOOP which is activated automatically without doing it manually (optional active loop on/off function)

LOAD AUTOGRID - new:

As a standard setting we need to set a GRID marker to synchronize the grid to the beats, but if we would like that point to also be a HotCue LOAD where the head would be positioned when we load a song, we would have to occupy 2 buttons of the already limited 8 that Traktor makes available .

With a new type of Hotcue "Load AutoGrid" you could combine the two features and free up 1 button.

I would also propose that the Grid markers were not assignable to buttons 1-8 as they are not always hotcues for reference positions in a song (they only serve the BPM time grid), perhaps this is something to consider for the upcoming, hopefully, dynamic grid.

LABEL CUE - new:

These markers are markers that cannot be assigned to physical buttons 1-8, they are only visible markers on the track where the DJ can mark points for example:

Yellow where he can put a JINGLE

CYAN where the speaker can speak

or other uses that imagination and need make available..

You could certainly use the (coloured) CUEs, you will surely think, but in this way we will waste buttons that could be used for other things even in live use, e.g. beatjump with hotcues...

LOOK CUE POINTS:

Every SINGLE CUE Point should be able to be blocked so as to avoid accidental deletion, both when we prepare the lists and, more likely, during a live evening at the disco. (LOCK CUE POINT)

[ LOCK HOTCUE BUTTONS 1-8 ]

The possibility of blocking the insertion of accidental Hotcues, if I have a free button and while the song is playing, accidentally pressing the free button on the controller is automatically stored (useful function, but if done accidentally it ruins the track settings with new points that are of no use), by blocking the new entry of HC we are sure of using only those preset by us (and also blocked)

[ RESTORE HOTCUE - only locked ]

A function that eliminates from the selected songs all the inserted Hotcues that do not have the padlock set, so as to restore the songs with only the hotcues set, validated and protected by the padlock.

HOTCUE BONUSES:

Set Recallable Hotcues 1-8 (current version) as standard.

Give the ability to extend recallable hotcues to 1-16 / 1-32.

Maybe for different needs, other users could connect other MIDI Controllers with more buttons to assign from 9-32, (but I think 1-16 are already enough)

85 votes

Collecting Upvotes · Last Updated

Comments

• nickygdj

Why doesn't anyone vote for this proposal of mine? Do you think it's something useless? Yet I believe it is a revisitation, for the better, of things that you have already requested which I have greatly expanded with new features.

Tell me yours

• lord-carlos
    lord-carlos Member Posts: 2,030 Expert
  • wayfinder
    wayfinder Member Posts: 321 Guru

yeah, once people realized that the (even at its original level completely arbitrary) limit to how many upvotes something needed to be considered was raised to twice what it originally was so that fewer suggestions would have to be considered, voting pretty much died down.

• nickygdj

Actually, I also have the impression that it's a half-dead forum! Let me understand, 30 votes are no longer enough for the idea of modification to be taken into consideration??

Look, I'm baffled by this way of thinking on NI's part!

I no longer understand their line, what they want to do or be in the future.

Years ago, (when Pioneer didn't have SYNK to understand better) it could well be said that TRAKTOR was light years ahead with its DJ MIXING software, you saw many DJs, international or otherwise, who in the clubs didn't have the classic pioneer console or at least they added NI controllers, at first it was the Kontrol X1!

Then Pioneer took over with Rekordbox, the synk on the Nexus CDJs, then the ONLY-IN-ONE consoles, and has strengthened and surpassed its analysis software in some aspects.

Then the Vault of DENON with ENGINE and the PRIME4. (and low costs on the 4-channel controller which costs almost double in Pioneer)

We have even seen the evolution of VIRTUALDJ from mixing software for beginners, children... to megasoftware with power and functionality never thought of for VDJ!

Then there is Djay Pro 5 with Fluid Beatgrid (what TRAKTOR would need for the definitive change to flexible, fluid, dynamic grids as we want to call them)...

And many of these software not only manage VIDEO MIXING, but also the control of DMX LIGHTS.

TRAKTOR is limited only to audio MIxing and is no longer the undisputed King in this area!!!!

In practice, in at least 13 years all software has undergone a turning point, an evolution, a mega-revolution to its software or controller...

Then there is our beloved TRAKTOR which churns out small updates, or partnerships with other producers which have little influence on the distortion and improvement of the software. In fact they make you pay a subscription for things that are "also useful" but don't change our lives.

There is the forum for the request for new ideas, which are not taken into consideration at all, or requests that have finally been taken into consideration but we still can't see the light (and we don't even know if it's that crazy innovation, see beatgrid or live stems )...

Here in the forum we ask for small things, sometimes simple to expand but which are very useful.

But if NI doesn't take our ideas into consideration, doesn't innovate, doesn't wake up compared to its competitors, tell me how long it can keep alive a dead person who is swallowed up by increasingly ruthless and fierce competition??

The way I see it would be:

- Automatic flexible beatgrids for non-constant songs (70s/80s/90s)

- Live Stems for melody, kick drum and vocals

- Software improvements such as HOTCUE, BROWSER, PLAYLIST, ...

- A controller (perhaps ONLY IN ONE without the use of a connected PC), with 10" monitor, PRIME 4+ style,

Traktor is at least 10 years behind in 2023, when it was ahead of all the others by 15 years!! And I'm sorry to say this, because I love traktor, I've tried both REKORDBOX and ENGINE, but perhaps being archive management software they do the best with an associated controller, but for me traktor remains the best, but at this rate I don't know sooner or later we'll crash!

• Patch
    Patch Member Posts: 223 Pro

Coloured cue points are an absolute MUST. Also, we nee to see the cue label displayed for the UPCOMING/NEXT cue point. I cannot fathom why that's not the case already???

• Patch

nickygdj I really like your posts, mate. They're all very well thought out, and well written. Nice work, mate!

But, there are workarounds for a lot of what you're proposing. This forum is still kinda new, so, we don't have the records here like we did on the old forum.

Might be a good idea to take a look over at DJTT to see if any of the old school knowledge can help you. There's nothing to be done about coloured hotcues, but, for other points you've raised, there certainly are work arounds. 👍️

• Patch
    edited January 6

LABEL CUE - new:

These markers are markers that cannot be assigned to physical buttons 1-8, they are only visible markers on the track where the DJ can mark points for example:

Yellow where he can put a JINGLE

CYAN where the speaker can speak

or other uses that imagination and need make available..

You could certainly use the (coloured) CUEs, you will surely think, but in this way we will waste buttons that could be used for other things even in live use, e.g. beatjump with hotcues...

So - this CAN already be done...

1) This ONLY works if you have "Store Grid Marker as Hotcue" disabled in your settings/prefs.

2) You need to set your hotcue as you normally would (any of the 1 - 8 available).

3) Change the hotcue type to GRID MARKER.

4) Change cue type BACK to hotcue (or, any other cue type). This then frees up your original hotcue slot.

5) You'll get a "Label Cue". That is a cue point that you cannot access with a Hotcue button, but, that shows up on your waveform and can be "named".

I don't know of an upper limit for this type of cue. I just quickly tried to find out and got to a number of 157 before I gave up. Who's ever gonna need more that 157 Label Cues??? 😂

• nickygdj
    edited January 13

I agree, I also didn't know it could be done

• Patch

I don't disagree with them mate. But there are workarounds for a lot of them...

• nickygdj

Yes, alternative solutions but they complicate and lengthen the process... the aim of life is always to simplify to make things easier

• Patch

Right now, though ,the option for you is to do it using a work around, or, not do it at all.

And so, if you're not willing to put in a little work to enable the functionality that you say you need, then, how badly do you really need it?

• nickygdj

You're right, but the question is that given the situation that making these changes would be done on entire music archives, if today I undertake to set up all the things using expedients to do that particular thing, see the Marker Grid + Load that you were saying first, how to insert tags there is a method that I saw by putting entries in the comments etc..

They are all temporary gimmicks that may work like, but are never programmed to work that way.

So it ends up that I make changes to hundreds of songs, then tomorrow (15 years from now given the slowness of NI), they bring out this tags function or anything else requested I would find myself doing the job from the beginning, consider that hypothetically if today I have 500 songs in 15 years those songs will be 1500...

I hope NI is taking a lot of time to rewrite the software almost from scratch, for amazing new features, and for a more flexible architecture that facilitates them in new features more quickly (otherwise there is no explanation why the others churn out NEWS from version to version and NI is just fixing the BUGS)...

As I hope they are also working on a phenomenal controller too...

But to date, I believe they will never succeed!

• Patch

You just my argument for me, mate.

Do it, or don't do it. But, don't complain about not being able to do it easily.

• wayfinder
    wayfinder Member Posts: 321 Guru

that doesn't make sense. something that's possible, sorta, but with weird limitations, constant pain, and considerable overhead; that's well worth wishing an easier method for

• nickygdj

Friends, if you go and see the discussions on my profile you will surely find my other posts where I have expressed in detail many ideas that could improve Traktor... please vote for them so that the idea can be taken into consideration by NI